ARTICLE XI – POLICIES
A supplement to the Constitution and Bylaws, called the Policy Manual, shall contain the current policies and guidelines of the various activities of the church. This manual shall be available and shall be updated with each policy decision of the membership and/or board.
Section 1. Marriage Policy. (Adopted October 26, 2014)
We believe that God is the One who instituted marriage. (Genesis 2:24). Based upon the Word of God, we believe that marriage is the union of one man and one woman for a life time. (Matthew 19:5-6) This union is both physical and spiritual; and, as such, is to be governed by the unchanging principles of God’s Word.
Based on these convictions, marriage in this church will be governed by the following policies:
- We will only perform marriages that involve one man and one woman.
- Those seeking to be married in this church must complete premarital counseling classes with the pastor.
- We will only marry those who have not been previously married unless they are widowed or have biblical grounds for divorce. Biblical grounds for divorce include sexual immorality or unfaithfulness. (Matthew 5:31-32 and 19:1-9). Divorce and remarriage is also permitted when an unbelieving partner chooses to divorce a believing partner. (I Corinthians 7:10-16)
- We will only marry those who share the same faith-based religious convictions with each other as determined by the pastor (II Corinthians 6:14)
- Visiting ministers who are in agreement with our marriage policies may perform weddings in our church building at the discretion of the elder board.